Sunday, August 21, 2011

First Day Musings: Possibility

I dwell in Possibility--
A fairer House than Prose--
More numerous of Windows--
Superior--for Doors--

Of Chambers as the Cedars--
Impregnable of Eye--
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky--

Of Visitors--the fairest--
For Occupation--This--
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise-- 


-- Emily Dickinson

This is The Day Before Classes Start. It is a Day of Possibilities. Everyone has an A. Everyone is happy. Everyone is successful. I haven't gained 12 pounds from medicinal application of chocolate.

There is something about Starting that Is So Good. 

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. -- Winnie the Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner

Yeah. Like that.

I think this is why I am addicted to Starting. I love the feeling of success before something can fail. I like the joy of completion before it is done. I crave the affirmation that I can do it before I have.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. -- Eccelsiasties 3:11

So, today I am going to dwell in possibilities. I am going to embrace the happiness of The Day Before and hope that it continues to The Next Day. As Pooh, I am going to anticipate the satisfaction of what is to come and believe it is every bit as delish as I can hope.

And, the cynic in me is ordering new pants....

3 comments:

  1. Pretty wise post Matty! Just like anticipating Christmas was more fun the actual day when we were young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are so right about the new school year. In June...it's all over...you didn't finish stuff, kids didn't latch onto stuff...blah, blah, blah. But, as you think of the new school year...it's ripe with possibilities. No mistakes are made. Students are motivated and inspired. Teachers are energized, on fire, and impart great wisdom. And then....there's chocolate...and laughter...and the holiday break! Have a wonderful school opening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matty, I hope you have a wonderful first day tomorrow! I think your attitude is so positive and refreshing. It reminds me of a line from Polly Anna "Tomorrow is always new with no mistakes in it." Have a lovely sunday evening and rest well! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty