Sunday, August 7, 2011

First Day Musings --- Creative Homemaking

Yarn holder and handmade knitting needles: Riverslea Farm
The Hidden Art of Homemaking, by Edith Shaeffer
Knitting project: Hannah's hat with Bear Yarn (shetland wool)

Several bloggers have written about Edith Schaeffer's The Hidden Art of Homemaking, and, frankly, after reading it the first time, I didn't get it. Where were the hints on organization? Recipes? Patterns? Anything, please?? Nothing of that kind was there. It was a book about creativity and how to tap in and use it in your life -- not just your home.

The first publishing was in 1971 -- how well I recall that year! I was in love with Iverson James McCann and wanted to live on his family farm in South Georgia growing peanuts. Yeah. It was a good year. But, if you can remember those days, you recall, too, that was a time of great confusion about gender roles and Just Whom Am I? This book seems to answer some of those lingering questions.

Homemaking is neither masculine or feminine. Rather, it is our way of attempting to create a full life which honors our Creator. And, since we all have the Breath of God in us, we are all, to some extent, creators as well.

So many people like to cite the Proverbs 31 woman as the perfect wife. However, if you look closely at the scripture, you will see that she is strong, wise, hard working, physically active, prudent, determined, and CREATIVE. Aren't these qualities that describe men as well as women? Isn't this really what all of us should be? Women are not meant to "love pink, fluffiness, glitter, and watching men's muscles" as I read on a blog not long ago. Frankly, I nearly tossed my cookies. Such a statement demeans a woman, but also the man, if all he is good for is physical labor and admiration.

Women are strong. We are wise. We are demanding. We are tender. But, most of all, we are just as unique as the men we adore. Flex those muscles, emotional, mental, spiritual AND physical! It is within your means to create the life you want to live. As Shaeffer writes: "The Christian should have more vividly expressed creativity in his daily life, and have more creative freedom, as well as the possiblity of a continuing development in creative activities." In short, why are you just sitting here? Get up and create something beautiful!




5 comments:

  1. Have I told you lately that I adore you Matty? Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%!!! WE are not the same as men but in our differences we are equals! I am not a feminist. The Original Femininst did not thing they were the same as men just wanted some basic human rights.
    Proverbs 31 Woman is a lot to strive for. But I always have to point out that she worked and did things some people consider a mans work.
    Kyle's Muscles are bigger than mine and he can do more Heavy work in less time than I can. But that doesnt make him less or more than me in the eyes of God.
    It took me a long to realize that my 'creativity' was a gift from God since so many people tried to make me do things like them..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Matty! And so beautifully put!!

    Thanks for such an uplifting message. I think I'll go create something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower. I just noticed you got your yarn winder and knitting needles at Riverslea. I love that place. I get my roving there.
    I look forward to following along with you.
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Matty, I so loved your post today, so beautifully written and expressed! Have a lovely evening! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty