Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pass the Plate, Please

Brenda and I have been having a little email conversation and in it I remarked about how much I enjoy handwashing dishes. It seems a little thing, doesn't it, that I enjoy them. Yet, I do. Really. There are so many things I like about doing such a simple task.

There is something about the hot water and the feel and smell of Ivory dishwashing liquid that I love. It makes me think of my Grandmother Arrington and how wonderful her house always felt and smelled. Her fist-sized biscuits filled half my small plate. Honey and butter filled the other. At this time of year, I use her dishes and find myself making many of the things she did, even though they fail to measure up to hers.

It should be federal law that every kitchen sink fit beneath a window. There are several bird feeders outside my kitchen window; and, my daily guests include cardinals, nut hatches, phoebes, and sparrows. Come spring, I have quite a show as returning guests struggle and flit for their own feeder perch! Such fun! And, they have no care that I am just feet away, happily washing dishes, as they feed and quarrel!

The bee hives are visible from the kitchen window and I adore watching the bees scurrying from hive to flower and back again. Mid-day in the spring, summer, and fall there is a tangible black streak to and from the hives as they prepare themselves, and us, for winter. Sometimes, I am surprised by a gal who will come to the kitchen window to see what is going on. Bees are quite curious, you know. Move anything on the porch or yard and they will send someone to check it out. I'll speak to the girls at the window, telling them how much I appreciate them and their honey and offer them a speck of water to drink in a small bowl outside. Sometimes they will line the entire rim as they come for a drink of water!

Along the back edge of the "yard" outside our kitchen window is an herb garden as well. Right now, it is nothing more than a muddy hole with sticks and stems, but come spring, it erupts into brilliant colours and delicious smells as the herbs reappear from the sleeping earth. Once the air warms up, the scents of basil, chives, oregano, and lavender, fill the air and slip into the window, making me rejoice that I have time to stand and savor them.

Washing dishes may seem like a boring task to some. But, to me at Lazy Bee Farm, it is a time to slow down and relish in the moment. Life is simple, quiet, pure, and, well, joyful. For those few minutes, I can be in the moment.

5 comments:

  1. We've always hand washed our dishes. It's the time of day we talk over the days events. Plus it's a lot easier on your china!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dishwasher and I still do quite a few dishes by hand! There is something satisfying about it, even though my husband doesn't understand why I don't just put everything in the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, maybe I will enjoy handwashing when each eve there are less dishes...LOL! I do long for a window above my sink--the one flaw of my current home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually enjoy washing my dishes by hand, too. My house is older and not really set up for a dishwasher but my double sink has a window to the backyard over it.

    I treat myself to 7th Generation dish soap and the aroma is wonderful. This time of year the hot water also feels so good.

    I got out today for the first time in about a week. Got stuck getting out of our driveway, got stuck getting back in our driveway (that time it took my husband an hour to "unstuck" me. I do not think snow is pretty any longer. ;(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty