Sunday, April 18, 2010

First Day Musings and an Update

Update first: Amy is slowing be allowed to wake. She is in pain, but is doing well considering her challenges. She doesn't know how extensive her surgery was and she is not being told yet. The thinking is that she had mersa. A lab study will confirm this later this week. The baby is doing well and we are grateful for the small miracles. Many thanks for your prayers. Sara was quite touched to know prayers were going up for her sister. Thank you!

At 9:45 this morning the phone rang. I was still in jammies and having my third (oh my!) cuppa and finishing my Spanish omelet, homemade applesauce, and crescents with apricot jam. It was the Postmaster in Hickory. My diddles (chicks) were in and would I like to pick them up??

Of course! Ten minutes later, I was dressed and heading south, eager to get the little girls home.

We are at about 3500 feet elevation and so going down the mountain in the spring is a treat. While we still have nearly nekked trees, below the mountains spring is bursting out everywhere. From Roaring Gap, I could see puffs and explosions of red buds, apple trees, and stunning yellow dots which became daffodils as I got closer. This began to run through my head:

Daffodils

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,

They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:

I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

---- William Wordsworth

And this was playing on the radio:

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

--- Thomas O. Chisholm


What more can I write? God is good, ya'll.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Matty, Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a note for my birthday celebrations. Lovely to hear from you.

    And here you share two of my favourite things... Wordsworth's Daffodil poem and the wonderful hymn by Thomas Chisholm.

    A phrase from the hymn has taken over my consciousness...... as many mornings I wake up with the words "morning by morning new mercies I see" singing through my thoughts. It's a lovely way to wake up.

    It goes along with the verse from Is 50:4 that has become a signpost for my life at this time.... The Lord God has given me the tongue of a disciple and of one who is taught, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary. He wakens me morning by morning, He wakens My ear to hear as a disciple. (Since that verse was referring to Jesus, I figured, since I'm His followed, it would behoove me to pay attention too.... to me this was his 'secret' to success.... He was in tune every morning with His father..... like it? Yaaah God!

    Happy Day....... Brenda

    Oh yes... glad to hear baby is well.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty