Sunday, January 22, 2012

First Day Musings --- The Hitch hiker

Living near the Appalachain Trail as we do, it is not unusual for me to pick up hikers and drive them to the local store for supplies. Usually, I am in my truck, so they just pile in the back, gear and all, and ride the three miles to Jerry's Store in Volney. And, usually, I am pretty glad for that.... weeks on the trail without a bath?? Well, you get the idea. I don't really worry about safety. I trust that I will always be protected and I listen to Him when He says, "Stop for this one."

So, it was surprising on Thursday to see a lone, small hiker several miles after Jerry's Store. It was bitter cold --- about 20-degrees -- raining and the wind was blowing. The hiker was staggering a little and it was getting near dark.

I pulled up beside the figure, rolled down the truck window and asked, "Where you headed?"

A small, well-lined face turned to me, smiled, and replied, "Danbury."

"Hop in; it is too cold for you to be out walking today."

She got in after tossing her gear on the truck's back seat.

"Thanks! I was getting a little tired and really wanted to get just a bit further."

 We introduced ourselves, shaking hands as we did. Hers were worn, wrinkled, well-used and a block of ice.

"How long you been walking?" I asked.

"Oh, about 21 months. I started in Wocester, MA, and have been all over the country since," she responded, unzipping her coat, obviously enjoying the truck's warmth.

She then began to tell me about her journey, talking as fast as one does when they have been alone for a while. Her words tumbled out, faster and faster, as we drove. She told how God has instructed her to travel the country in a certain manner, stopping to talk to anyone who would listen about the End Times and about her Savior.

"He told me to take no money, that I would be cared for," she said. "And I have. If a town doesn't want to hear, then I walk to the city limits, spit on the ground, and leave. Usually, though, people will listen."

We came to my turn off, which is in the middle of nowhere, about 15 miles from the next town. I kept driving and she kept talking about God, her faith, and her journey. She had been to the Deep South, Mid-West, and now was headed to the Atlantic Ocean. Her route was never planned more than  knowing a certain town she was to arrive in along the way.

"I just trust Him to tell me the next place," she confided.

When we arrived in Independence, I asked her if I could buy her dinner.

"Yes! I am getting rather hungry," she eagerly answered.

We turned into my favorite restaurant and went in. I explained to her that I couldn't stay because I had to get home to feed my goats and I was already an hour late. She ordered supper and I told her to order her a some tenderloin biscuits for breakfast as they would keep overnight. Before leaving, we paused for a quick prayer. I blessed her and asked for her continued safety.

As I drove home, I thought about how we are each called to do God's work in different ways. She is traveling the country and I teach. Yet, we both minister in our own way -- she through testimony and me through encouragement and, I hope, an example of living His truth. Either way, we are both doing His work where we are.

BTW, I know the dangers of picking up hitch hikers. I seldom let anyone in the vehicle -- they have to ride in the truck bed. And, I don't recommend picking up strangers!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful story, Matty.

    Yes, we all do have our way of ministering for Him - right where we are and in our very own way. And being a good friend is certainly not the least of these.

    Have a great day, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't add more than what Sandy has already said. Hope you are enjoying this glorious day!

      Delete
  2. What a great story! I just started reading Kisses From Katie (a Christmas gift from a friend who thought I'd like it) about an eighteen year old girl who went to Uganda alone to minister to the poor.

    Makes me feel downright secular.

    Haven't times changed? I remember when people "hitched a ride" all the time, especially going into town from one of the rural areas. I guess the chances of meeting up with someone you knew... or related to someone you knew... was higher then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matty, what an interesting story! You may never know what a difference you made in this woman's life or how much encouragement you gave her. What a loving kindness! You are a dear and wonderful person. It reminds me of the scripture where Jesus says "Whenever you give to the least of my brothers, you give to me." I hope you have a wonderful monday! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Matty,

    I am sure that you will be blessed for helping out this gal. Picking up strangers isn't as safe as it used to be, for sure, but I know that if you "go by the Spirit," you'll always be safe.

    It is something to think about, how we all minister in our different spheres. Everyone has something to share with and learn from each other. May we do it well!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty