Sunday, May 29, 2011

First Day Musing --- Choices, or I Can't

For several months now we have engaged in what has seemed to be a lifelong project of clearing out someone's house and yard.

This weekend has proved nearly too much for me.

If I hear one more time, "I can't do that any longer because..." I am going to most likely pitch a fit that would do the worst two-year-old honor.

What is it that causes someone to give up on life? To give up doing the things they love, even if it means doing less of it? Why does someone just sit down?

Several folks I know deal with serious issues. One person has MS, but continues to shoot pool, ski, and hike. Another has 60% oxygen levels and is on oxygen all the time yet manages to scrape ONE window a day and paint it. And, yet another person I know has 70% heart function but continues farming, working on projects and, most of all, planning what will be done Next Year.

Why would someone who has very little health issues just quit living?

It is beyond me.

The Bible says that no matter how old we get, we all have something we can give:

Psalms 92:14a they shall still bring forth fruit in old age.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
That's what I want. I want to be fruitful till the very last minute of my life. I want to have a reason to get up and the ability to give joy to someone every day. I want to be a blessing and not a curse.

How do you envision your greying years??

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Matty, girl, for your frustration, and I am sending a nice big hug. :)

    I plan to have a nice long grey braid down my back, and weathered skin from all the time I spend in the sun gardening with my great grandchildren. I will wear bright colored t-shirts, jeans and work boots (my family will call it "Grammy's uniform" and I will always have fresh cookies and lemonade for anyone who happens by. I will awake each morning and thank God for another day, and I will fall asleep remembering those who are closest to me, so that when the day comes that I no longer awake, I will take those memories to heaven with me.

    If only we could forsee the future.
    XOXO
    Hang in there kitten.
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly the person I hear "I can't" from the most is the very person that told me as a child "There's no such word as can't". I hope to be a very fit old lady (some might say I am already) working in my garden and feeding anyone that needs a meal and someone to listen to them. I don't intend to age gracefully. I plan on fighting it all the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty