Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Can You Feel It?

Fall. It is just around the corner. I know this because the pumpkins are getting larger, the green bean vines are nearly done, and the tomatoes are turning a lovely pink. School supplies fill store shelves and tax-free days are over.

I get this kind of giddy feeling when fall is on the precipice. Butterflies fill my stomach and I find myself looking with longing at notebooks and pencils. I love to smell them. Sick, isn't it?

Just as summer is full of the promise of goodness to come, lemonade, and lazy days, so is fall full of promise of cooler nights, football mums, and hot tea on the porch while wrapped in a handknit shawl -- admittedly there are still bare feet, but still snuggled in a shawl. Delicious.

Classes start in less than two weeks. As I consider my rosters I wonder about the students. Are they ready for college? Are they excited? Are they buying new clothes? Sleeping in Just One More Time? Worrying about their mean English professor or the challenging math instructor? Do they dread class?

And I think about me. Am I ready for them? Will they like me? Will they drop the class after the first day? What will they like about English? How do they feel about reading? Will they laugh at my jokes?

I think I became a college professor because it gave me a chance to get ready for school every year. Isn't possibility addicting??

2 comments:

  1. We are getting ready for school here as well. But despite the high temps i am not ready for fall.. I just keep remembering last winter and how I said I would not complain about the heat this summer... I have tried really hard not too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe that it's around the corner!

    And I DO know the feeling of longing for pencils and notebooks.... and I love the smell too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty