Saturday, February 4, 2012

What's sweet and melts to nothing?


The gals are laying tons of eggs. Tons. We have 24 dozen eggs in the refrigerator waiting for us to do something with them. Honestly, if you were close, you would hate me because I would leave eggs in your unlocked car, just as during our "Great Zucchini Crop" days a few years ago.

But, since you aren't, how about I share with you one of our favorite receipes to use the egg whites?

Meringue Cookies

2 egg whites
1/2 c. sugar
1-2 t. vanilla (or 3 t. cocoa; or lemon flavoring or whatever you have a hankering for today)
dash salt

Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff. Add the sugar by tablespoonsful.

Cover your cookie sheet with either parchment paper or silicone sheets. I use the silicone because it recycles with just a quick wipe! Sweet.

Now, the fun part. I used the cookie press I found at a junk store With All Its Pieces to squeeze the meringue into lovely little flowers. You could drop these from a tablespoon as well. I even added a little food colouring to one batch. Nothing like a red flower that tastes like sweet air and melts away to nothing in your mouth!  Have fun with it!

Bake at 250-degrees for one hour. Then, let them "rest" in the oven for at least two more hours.

Store in an air tight container... unless your Mister is like mine and is standing by the oven drooling and waiting...

We then take the egg yolks and make a lovely omelet or frittata from them. Nothing wasted!

How do you use extra eggs??

4 comments:

  1. Hi Matty, thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog tonight! Have you ever tried making angel food cake? It takes anywhere from 12 -14 egg whites. There is also a special cake called a "Queen's cake" That one uses two dozen! When I make my angel food cake I save the egg yolks and make pudding. The pudding also freezes nice and can be used for different things. If you mix the pudding with Dream Whip you can make a really delicious Mousse. The pudding also can make great frosting for a cake. I love the chocolate pudding on top of yellow cake the best. Also homemade marshmellows use a lot of egg whites. Oh I love those! Also Divinity Candy. Eggs can also be hardboiled, chopped and frozen to use later in macaroni salads and potato salads. (The yolk may turn a little gray, but still tastes the same) Let's see anything else? How about quiches. Those are also great for freezing or you can make little ones to use as appetizers. Okay I'm done. I feel like Bubba reciting all the uses for shrimp in Forrest Gump! Have a great evening! Delisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have eggs left in my car! I love to make quiche...especially with farm fresh eggs. It comes out so pretty and golden! I'm drooling with all of Delisa's suggestions!
    Hugs,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of eggs. My son is finding out that a few chickens lay plenty of eggs. He barters some for fresh roasted coffee. Looks like you'll have to sell some at the farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my I thought I had a lot of eggs. I think the most I had at one time was 10-12 dozen!Lol But I leave mine in cars and other places on a regular basis!!Hahaha I need to try the meringue cookies sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty