Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Gotta Love It ...

As other teachers will tell you, as students get older, they get more confident that they are wiser and more educated than their instructors. By the time a kid reaches college, they have all the answers, so much so that I believe all Presidents should be under 20 years old and all Congress people should be between 16-19. Let's face it, after 20, it is all downhill and we realize just How Stupid We Really Are and How Little We Really Know.

Case in point: this is an email I received last week regarding a quiz:

Hello Ms. H,


I just completed the quiz for the material on Mather, Bradstreet, etc., and was a bit disconcerted at receiving a 72. I double checked each answer against the text, powerpoints, and documents, and it seems that 7 questions incorrect is a large range of error given my careful procedures. Would it be possible to review the test and see which questions I answered incorrectly, and is their any possibility of a grade revision? Please let me know.

Yea. Right. Gotta love the statement "large range of error given my careful procedures." This is an 18-year-old, by the way. And, believe it or not, this kid talks just as he writes.

"I bet you watch Star Trek," I asked, sort of.

"Wow! Yes. I do! Spock is my favorite character!"

I think it is going to be a long fall....

6 comments:

  1. Gee Ms. H, can't you knock off a few points just because I have a lot of chutzpah? Oh to be young, and have all the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha.......(chuckle chuckle) I enjoyed your posting and liked Jane's reply.

    Maybe you should just ask Scotty to beam you up quick....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL... I am sorry.... I would NOT last long as a public educator of any sort.. I would probably had died laughing on the spot... Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have Spock...then I'm dealing with Tribbles! LOL It's September, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matty, you are so doggone funny! I remember teaching at a college about 12 years ago and one whole class was made up of women going back to school after a loooong time. Some had some hard backgrounds, but man they had all the answers. I remember thinking it must be nice to have all the freakin' answers before you even take my course gals...LOL! And it was medical ethics, now really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh at this (just catching up on blogs). My son does the same thing to his Computer Science professors!

    Yes, he watched Star Trek. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty