Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mind Your Own Beeswax... Literally!

Our Farmer's Market is terrific, but we have, as of late, gained a couple of really nosey folks. They are the kind who snoop around, looking to see who is doing what and if that what is legally done. And, if they decide it isn't they either 1) call the health department, or, 2) tell the Market Manager.

This actually happened to us today over our honey. We have it labeled properly, but another beekeeper, who has spent the last three weeks trying to see our honey, actually came down while I was unloading it, picked it up, read the label, and literally ran to the market manager to tattle tale. She is such a dear person and very level headed, so she came to talk with me. And, we agreed that we were okay and kept the honey on the table.

In the meantime, I nearly went down and told him what I thought of him and his tattling. But, the Mister wouldn't let me.

However, I felt okay about it after I watched this guy load up all his honey and leave early because we were selling and he wasn't. A good friend recently loaned me a book called "The Diamond Cutter" which is a combination of all the world's religions' concept of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The author postulates that if we help others be successful, we experience success as well. His theory is simple; if we are doing right and honorable toward others, somehow the Universe, God, or whatever higher power one believes in, keeps the world in balance and you will receive the same.

As a Christian, I have to state that I agree with this.

Three weeks ago I wasn't very helpful at the market. I was tired, felt bad, and just didn't want to be there. I didn't suggest other vendors and didn't help folks find things if I didn't have them. It was our worst week all season in sales. The next week, though, I was right back on it and our sales doubled.

Now, I am not saying that God always rewards us for being nice people. Rather, I am saying that by doing the right thing, we received it back in kind. There are days when I work hard to help others and I barely sell enough to buy gas home. But, it seems that the good days are far and away more frequent than the slow ones.

I felt kind of sorry for this guy when he left. Obviously he couldn't stand competition and seeing others be successful. I have to wonder what kind of pleasure one gets in life if it is all about them. Regardless, after I have stewed a little about this, I will move on. But, in the meantime, it is a good reminder to practice kindness, fairness, and understanding.... although I still want to shout: "Tattle Tale, tattle tale... hang your britches on a a nail..."

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your posting.... that diamond cutter book sounds most interesting. We know it's a truth that we will reap what we sow (it says so in the Good Book). I love reading the fine example in your own experience that sowing to the success of other vendors reaps that harvest back to yourselves... gotta love it. Glad your Mister held you back till you found your 'right senses' again (smile).

    Love your honesty.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matty! Sorry you had to go through that experience at the Farmer's Market. You really were wise and showed a lot of self-control. I don't know why people feel like they have to do those things. We know someone who is very much like that a well. They are "hall monitors" of life. They worry so much about their own ideas of "fairness" that they forget to be loving. I agree, what goes around, comes around and when we give with pure motives, we always receive something good in return. Maybe it isn't exactly what we imagined, but the goodness always comes back around somehow. I hope you have a nice weekend ahead! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those type of people will always be with us. I guess it's God's way of testing us. I'm writing this as our snoopy neighbor is standing outside watching Ran paint the front door. Checking to see if it meets with her approval. Just have to laugh. Those type of people take everything so seriously, it must be difficult for them to find joy. Goodness has its own rewards. Just knowing that you did the right thing, lightens the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to check our library for The Diamond Cutter. Sounds very much worth the read. You just never know how far a kind word will go - or how it will color our own day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmer's Market Trolls...LOL! Who knew! Glad you took the high road--like you told me once, "don't fight with pigs, you'll only get dirty." Very good advice my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you are kidding me. I am stuck on people tattling on others at the farmers market. Akk, this is going to bug me all day and I am afraid I am not a gracious as you. I am with Suzanne, farmer's market trolls, uggg. Boy do I admire you Matty xoox Clarice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty