Monday, January 3, 2011

One Day Closer....

... to spring. It was a balmy 41-degrees here today. The sun shone all day. And, the moon is out tonight, accessorized by lots of shimmering stars. A perfect night.

The Airman left yesterday after a lovely two weeks home with us.


When he was just new, I told Mother that I had learned a little something about how God worked.

"It's like this," I explained. "God gives a child a little tiney hole in their heart that only a Mother has the key to that will make the child feel guilty."

She agreed.

"But," I added, "He also left a hole so our hearts aren't filled unless they are in it."

She smiled. "Welcome to motherhood."

I've thought of that a lot today. My son is nearly 30 and, yet, he is still my heart. I miss him when he is gone, but I understand he has a path to follow. I just wish it weren't so far away. In March he will finish Tech School and be awarded his 'crab' -- a very high honor. And, then, he will pack his duffle and head 22 hours overseas -- 14 hours time difference -- to pursue his next challenge.

Why didn't someone tell me that being a Mum meant I had to let go?

5 comments:

  1. I don't know but I wasn't told either. It isn't easy. Spent the day with my soldier today before he headed back to post-in country but still far away. Not easy indeed. If you figure out a way to turn back the clock please let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, you have me crying!!!! What a handsome son. We do have to let go and let them live their lives, but he will always come back to Mum--that's how boys are;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have miss spoke with that in country thing--I've forgotten which meant he is in the states. :) No I'm not a member of the blue star mothers, I didn't know about it until you mentioned it. Wish I had known about it while he was deployed. Oh well, we got through it okay. You are a member? It looks to be a very supportive group. Thank you for coming by and letting me know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your son will always be your heart. I know my children and grandchildren always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had those lovely two weeks with your son..... wishing you heart courage and comfort as you release him to his new life. Surely goodness and mercy SHALL follow him all the days in every place!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty