Thursday, October 14, 2010

It Was Just Here!

You can see even the trees are confused! The maple on the right is all dressed for fall; the ginko isn't quite so sure! Honestly, it seems like we went to bed last night and it was summer and today, brrr, it is fall!

Every season has so much to offer, doesn't it?? Spring promises, summer challenges, fall teases, and winter snuggles. Each one is special and so very wonderful! Since I love wool, this cool weather is so promising! I can't wait to put on my first sweater of the season. The shawls have already been out for early morning wear, but are tossed aside by 10 a.m. because it is too hot. Today I will need to wear a sweatshirt to feed the gals. Sigh.

One of the best treats of cool fall nights is the fire we build in the outside fireplace. It sits, alone, isolated, and unused all summer. But, come fall and winter, we find ourselves outside as the sun sets, a small fire going in the fireplace, and watching the stars begin to prick the night sky. It is my favorite time of the year. Our breath hangs in the air, the dogs crowd our feet, and the cats knead out legs. It is perfect.

4 comments:

  1. I was telling my daughter that at the end of winter each year, I think I never want to see cold weather again.

    But then by the end of August, I am so ready for the cool days of Autumn that I can hardly wait for late September (or early October this year) when I can slip on a sweater when I walk out to the mailbox, make homemade soup and stew, do some baking, really enjoy hot coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon, etc.

    I guess that is why I live where there are four distinct seasons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you serve s'mores??? Because then I'm there with you, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... what a wonderful treat... fireplaces outside on autumny evenings. Will you have a poke in the fire with your stick for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a maple today that was Bright Orange at the top and about half way down green as summer!Lol
    I am not really ready for fall... But I am glad its not so hot.. I am not ready for what is After Fall.... That shivery stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty