Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Chores....

This week we are busy getting farm chores done. While it is hard to think about winter when it is 88-degrees, we know it is coming and we have to be ready.

The girls inspect limbs that will become kindling for the wood stove. 


Dead apple trees make the most wonderful smelling firewood!





Mister working on a pine.
Thoreau was right; wood does warm one twice!
Don't let the sky fool you; it was blistering hot!
Twilight walk. I love the evening light more than sunrise.
Uh-ho....too early to see this!

In addition to all the farm work, I am putting by garden goodies. My Grandmother's four gallon crock is full of cukes soaking in brine for icicle pickles. They are my favorite. Mister doesn't care for pickles, so the 14 pints will be Just Enough. Squash has been frozen and tomatoes are coming on in a week or so! Can't wait!

What have you been into this week? How do you prepare for winter?


4 comments:

  1. We have to cut down some sumacs, but are waiting until it's cooler. It will be a while before the tomatoes are ripe. Last year I made enough pickles that we are good for this year, but will probably make some anyhow. Harvested onions today. And weeded for over six hours! Now I'm resting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six hours of weeding?? Goodness! You have a lot more stamina than I do, Jane! I am loving the pictures of your gardens!

      Delete
  2. I make a lot of jam and bottled berry soft drink from garden and forest berries, and then there is the wood. Pam in Norway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you heat with wood, too, Pam?? I love the heat, but it is so much work to get it gathered for winter! Do you have an indoor wood stove? Ours is an outside water stove. We heat the water and it runs though the house in radiators. I love it, but get so tired of cutting wood! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty