Friday, September 21, 2012

Peace

Today is the International Day of Peace. Ironic, isn't it? However, we can pray for peace and for understanding. We can pray for our leaders who seem to be untouched by the mess our world is in. We can pray for our soldiers (and I for mine especially). And for those who work with the displaced because of the world's violence (such as a co-worker's daughter who runs a shelter in the Sudan).

In short, we need to pray without ceasing, as the Good Book states. Not just with words, but with actions. We can make our life's work a prayer -- an offering of praise and worship. The Amish do this so well. So did the Shakers. I think, though, it goes deeper than just what we do. It is the attitude in which we do it. Is it gratitude? Appreciation? Understanding?

I am thinking a lot these days about peace in many ways -- not just in the world, but within myself. As I have grown older, I have come to realize that the most important thing in life is to be peaceful. It is still a struggle, but I am learning that there are things I Just Can't Change. And, I am learning to not be angry about them. Maybe this will contribute to world peace -- just not being angry? What do you think??

In the meantime, here is one of my favorite songs from my misspent youth. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Matty,

    Let's hear it for peace! I think that is a wonderful idea, constant prayer for it.

    Gotta love Cat Stevens!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace I dont think is found in this world.. But through HIM we can find peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matty! It is so good to see you back again! It sounds like you have had a very busy summer. I am so happy that you were able to visit your son and new daughter-in-law. I hope that the new semester at work has started off well for you too. I am sorry to hear that your son has been deployed, my thoughts are with you all. From what I have read in the past, your son sounds like a wonderful, courageous and selfless man and I know you must be very proud him. I hope that you have a restful weekend ahead and time to enjoy being at home and working on some of your own projects. With Love, Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in on the farm today! I enjoy your comments!

Warmly,

Matty